The overall objective of this regional program was to mainstream EE measures into housing policies, building codes and building practices as a means to achieve considerable avoidance of GHG emissions as a result of improved building practices.Econoler was mandated to assist UN-Habitat in the development of the GEF Council Document with the specific responsibility to finalize the Project Document (Prodoc) and submit a Request for CEO Endorsement.
The main tasks undertaken by Econoler under the project included the following:
- Worked closely with UN-Habitat staff to review and refine the draft Prodoc in line with UNEP/GEF requirements for submission to the GEF Secretariat.
- Prepared the CEO Endorsement Document based on the GEF template.
- Reviewed GEF documents for consistency purposes and modified them accordingly.
- Participated as expert in discussions with UN‑Habitat staff and other EE experts for establishing the baseline and emission reduction targets.
- Addressed all concerns raised by the GEF Secretariat during the Project Identification Form (PIF) stage.
- Provided support to UN-Habitat to answer or clarify any comments made by GEF and its Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP) after submission of the project and the CEO Endorsement Document.
- Developed a model to assess the energy savings and the GHG emission reductions achieved through the program.
- Addressed concerns raised by the UNEP project review team.
- Delivered support to UN-Habitat for the completion of the Prodoc.
- At the end of the mandate, Econoler provided a full‑size Prodoc and a Request for CEO Endorsement which had been previously reviewed and amended in accordance with GEF standards.