SENER commissioned Econoler, in cooperation with Brain Research, to assess the impact of PEE, particularly its Components 1 and 2, in order to be able to identify the benefits derived from the adoption and acceptance of more efficient technologies, energy and environmental impacts, as well as side effects due to the actions implemented by the PEE and its Components 1 and 2.The main findings of the evaluation of the two programs were the following:
- The energy impacts did not reach the savings expected for the Appliances program while for the lighting program, the energy and demand savings reached the expectations.
- The environmental impact was almost 2 million of TCO2 for Component 2 of the PEE and 13.6 million of TCO2 for Component 1 over the equipment’s lifetime.
- The PEE had several collateral impacts such as direct employment, revenue for the Mexican economy, electricity bills reduction, and reduction of governmental subsidies.
- The two components are well known and provided information on energy efficiency in Mexico.
- The recommendations to improve the impact of such programs in Mexico dealt with the program process, evaluation process, program design, database, disposal of equipment and stakeholders training.
- To analyze and revise the documents of the PEE delivered by the operators and partners of the program
- To develop an assessment plan of the impacts and of the market
- To design the data collection tools
- To develop the surveys for beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries
- To develop the survey guidelines of the partners of the PEE
- To collect external data through telephone surveys
- To interview relevant entities
- To analyze the results of the data collection
- To develop the data base of participants
- To assess the impacts of Components 1 and 2 of the PEE:
- To develop the baselines of self-ballasted compact fluorescent lamps, refrigerators and air-conditioners
- To calculate the net and gross savings
- To define the environmental impacts in terms of GHG
- To establish the side impacts through a macroeconomic analysis, a study of the effects of direct employment and economic distribution, an analysis of the socio-economic benefits, a calculation of economic savings due to reduction of energy consumption and deferral of the investment of electrical infrastructures.
- To assess of the market of the PEE:
- To analyze with a statistical approach the beneficiary and non-beneficiary populations
- To analyze the causal effects of the PEE
- To analyze the transformation of the market caused by the PEE
- To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of the PEE
- To give recommendations about future programs for the reduction of energy consumption in the residential sector in Mexico.
- To present the evaluation process and the main findings in a workshop