AfDB The African development Bank
The African Development Bank (AfDB) undertook many energy efficiency (EE) and renewable energy (RE) projects over the last few years. Its team of staff experts based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire were increasingly requested to evaluate energy-related projects, without always having the necessary training or experience. It was in this context that Econoler was hired to train AfDB’s staff in charge of the private sector and several other sectors.
Econoler was hired to prepare and deliver a one-day training event for the AfDB’s staff in Abidjan. This training was provided to the employees of the Financial Intermediation Division in charge of processing applications for EE and RE project financing. Over 20 trainees from the following sections of the AfDB attended the training: risk assessment, economic and legal assessment, and portfolio management.
At the request of the AfDB, this training event was adapted to meet the needs of the projects in its pipeline so as to prepare case studies based on these projects. The training covered the following topics:
- EE’s financing needs and possibilities;
- Feasibility studies;
- The process of an energy audit (ASHRAE Levels 1, 2 and 3);
- Types of projects and technologies encountered;
- Assessment and control of EE projects’ risks;
- Savings measurement and verification (M&V);
- Basic principles regarding the energy service company (ESCO);
- The financier’s role in the project cycle;
- Types of commercial and industrial projects;
- Definition of the project pipeline from the AfDB’s perspective.
This training event allowed the AfDB team to assess the project proposals received to select those with the best potential to be implemented and to achieve financial benefits.