The project aimed at contributing to the abatement of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions by removing barriers to the implementation of Renewable Energy (RE) and Energy Efficiency (EE) projects in Algeria. The project intends to take the opportunity of the Boughzoul’s new town development to spread the adoption of best practices in the energy and environment sectors, thus leapfrogging over more environmentally detrimental stages of urban development.
The project goal was to develop and implement relevant tools within a sustainable urban framework to avoid GHG emissions in the housing, energy, services, and transport sectors, and promote business opportunities for private entrepreneurs in the commercial and industrial sectors that aim at zero GHG emissions.
Econoler was assigned by the UNEP to lead the development of the UNEP/Global Environment Facility (GEF) Full-Size Project (FSP) document and associated documentation, and be responsible for its delivery.
The specific tasks conducted by Econoler in the framework of the project were to:
- Undertake preparatory activities.
- Conduct the stakeholder consultations.
- Conduct the logical framework analysis and project design.
- Prepare the Incremental Cost Analysis (ICA) and cost-effectiveness analysis between the baseline scenario and the GEF scenario.
- Prepare a costed Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting plan for input in the FSP document
- Draft and finalize the FSP document.
- The Project Design Workshop report and any other meeting report from the meetings organized during the Project Preparation Grant (PPG) phase.
- Detailed PPG plan with the delivery deadlines agreed with local stakeholders.
- Logical framework according to GEF standards.
- Detailed design and activities content of project components.
- Estimate of the CO2 emission reduction potential and incremental cost analysis.
- Draft project document based on the UNEP/GEF format and CEO endorsement request document.
- Finalized project document addressing comments from various reviewing agencies.
- Detailed budget according to GEF and UNEP formats.
- Detailed monitoring and evaluation plan.