Econoler is a world-renowned consulting firm specializing in the design, implementation, evaluation and financing of energy efficiency programs and projects.
Over the past 35 years, Econoler has carried out over 3,000 assignments related to energy efficiency, renewable energy and energy performance contracts around the world.
The wide range of professional services offered by Econoler and adapted to the specific needs of our partners include, in particular:
- Energy efficiency: regulatory and institutional frameworks, program design and evaluation, building codes, demand-side management, standards and labelling.
- Technical assistance for energy-efficiency initiatives: development of energy-efficiency strategies and energy-management master plans, technical assistance for carrying out energy performance contracts, and energy savings measurement and verification (M&V).
- Energy management: feasibility studies (energy savings, district heating, heat recovery, etc.), energy audits and diagnostics, performance measurement and verification, and personalized training.
- Program design and evaluation: analyses of impacts, market evolution, market transformation, statistical modelling, surveys, pilot projects, support mechanisms and program management.
- Financing for energy efficiency and clean energy: technical support, financing mechanisms, and designing and management of funds.
Under the supervision of a project manager and the Group Director, you, as the Intermediate Energy Efficiency Expert, will carry out various energy-efficiency projects, manages certain projects, and serves as a technical expert in the drafting of service proposals.
Our clients may be building managers, government bodies, public utility companies (for electricity or natural gas distribution), municipalities and industrial clients across Canada.
You, as an Intermediate Expert, should also watch out for new business opportunities offered by those clients whose assignments you are working on.
You will also have the opportunity to develop professional competence and increase your knowledge by participating in our continuing education program and getting involved in a variety of projects related to many aspects of energy efficiency.
Immediate Supervisor: National Group Director, Program Evaluation
Performing Overall Project Management
- Being in charge of distributing tasks and monitoring the timeframes and deliverables so as to coordinate the human resources for projects (including staff experts and subcontractors).
- Making regular contacts with clients so as to ensure that the work is being done according to the principles and arrangements stipulated in the contracts and their expectations.
- Supervising the work of junior experts and controlling the quality of the deliverables.
Carrying out Energy-efficiency Projects
- Providing technical assistance to the work of the project manager (surveys, data-compiling, calculation and data analysis);
- Assisting with conducting energy audits (identifying the measures, energy balances, savings calculation, construction cost calculation, and financial analyses) for various types of commercial and industrial buildings;
- Carrying out various data-collection assignments (e.g., interviews with market actors) and then analyzing the collected data to draw logical conclusions and make appropriate recommendations;
- Evaluating the energy impacts of programs aimed at reducing energy consumption and energy demand of residential, commercial and industrial clients;
- Designing, validating and drafting savings measurement and verification plans in conformity with International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP);
- Managing and participating in the implementation of energy-optimization projects (evaluation of clients’ consumption evolution, coordinating energy committees, identifying areas where to save energy and preparing energy-management reports);
- Drafting high-quality reports presenting the evaluation or study results and conclusions and making, specific recommendations to public utility company clients and regulatory bodies;
- Developing and applying advanced research, data-collection and data-analysis methods to evaluate energy savings of energy-efficiency programs, including literature reviews, technical analysis, buildings modelling and billing analysis.
- Helping the Business Development Team analyze calls for bids and draft documents in response to calls for bids.
- Keeping a lookout on business opportunities offered by clients for whom you are carrying out assignments.
Requirements of the position
This position allows the successful candidate to not only apply his or her engineering knowledge, but also develop and apply a holistic approach to improving energy efficiency.
The ideal candidate needs to have experience in the field of engineering, and show a strong ability to work independently and the capability to accomplish various tasks. He or she must be able to work alone or in a team, be thorough and consistent and show willingness to increase his or her knowledge. He or she must be able to properly handle the tasks and projects assigned to him or her from start to finish, while taking into account his or her supervisors’ feedback. The candidate must also have very good writing skills in both French and English.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science or any other relevant diploma.
- 4 to 8 years of relevant professional experience in energy efficiency.
- Bilingualism (French and English) in speaking and writing.
- Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office suite.
- Very good writing skills, including the ability to explain technical information.
- A master’s degree in a field related to energy efficiency or energy;
- Relevant professional experience in the evaluation of energy-efficiency programs, energy policies, or energy-efficiency standards and regulations;
- Knowledge about the ASHRAE, ENERGY STAR, the IPMVP and other energy-efficiency codes, standards and protocols;
- Experience in measurement and verification, analysis of electricity-metering data or buildings’ simulation and modelling data;
- Understanding of the fundamental statistical concepts;
- Member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ).
- Proven skills in conducting technical analyses and research;
- Attention to detail;
- Capability to handle several tasks simultaneously, including being able to prioritize tasks and adapt to changes in a work environment where deadlines for submitting project deliverables to clients are tight;
- Highly motivated to learn and perform well.